From page 178 to 197.
This was not a very difficult part but a rather long one.
Yasumasa’s investigation is getting further, thanks to discussions and confrontations with other characters. Here again, Kaga’s own investigation is implicitly present and we glimpse it here and there. I was used to Kaga not being constantly present in the previous Kaga’s series novels, but not that not present!
- 折り入って・おりいって earnestly
- 隙間・すきま gap, opening
- 丸める・まるめる to roll up
- 蛍光灯・けいこうとう fluorescent lamplight
- 腐敗・ふはい decay
- 円筒形・えんとうけい cylindrical
- 屑籠・くずかご waste basket
- 摘む・つむ to pick
- ほぼ almost, roughly, approximatively
- 閃く・ひらめく to hit on a good idea, to occur to someone
- もたげる to lift, to raise
- 入念・にゅうねん careful, scrupulous
- 慰安旅行・いあんりょこう company trip
- 隠滅・いんめつ destruction, suppression
- 切迫・せっぱく pressure, urgency, tension
- 便箋・びんせん writing paper
- 筆記用具・ひっきようぐ writing implement
- 貧相・ひんそう seedy looking, thin
Two characters appear: 山岡・やまおか, Sonoko’s section chief and the employee 笹本明世・ささもとあきよ who entered the company around the same time than Sonoko and is supposed to know her better than the other employees.
- 咄嗟に・とつさに at once
- 貰う is just もらう
- 送り主・おくりぬし sender of a present
- 指先・ゆびさき fingertip
- とぼける to play dumb, to feign ignorance
- 弁解・べんかい justification, explanation, defence
- 仕打ち・しうち behaviour, action
- 宣告・せんこく verdict, sentence
Yasumasa lays his cards on the table!